Have you ever stopped to check out a product just because the packaging caught your attention? Did the way two products look make a difference in your decision between two similar products? Although we should try not to judge things by appearances, the truth is that we care a lot about first impressions. When it comes to packaging, the way a product looks is just as vital as the product itself. Poor packaging will decrease sales regardless of how good your product is.
When selecting packaging for a product, there are many factors to consider. When displayed on a shelf, it must protect the contents, make packaging design storing easy, display information about the product, and draw attention to it. So how do you create packaging that is both eye-catching and functional at the same time? We will learn about product packaging and why it is crucial to a product’s success.
The Functions of Product Packaging
Despite the importance of design, packaging functionality is even more vital. Here are some ways good packaging can help the product it contains:
- Protection:It is the primary purpose of product packaging to protect the contents during transit, storage, or while they sit on store shelves. Product packaging needs to be reliable and sturdy to prevent tampering with the product.
- Attraction:Consumers need to be able to recognize your product on the shelves so that they will be drawn to it. You can achieve this by choosing certain color schemes, elaborate designs, or custom boxes that are functional and attractive.
- Information:The packaging should include information on how to use the product, its ingredients, and the expiration date. By providing this information, customers can decide whether to purchase your products without needing to speak to a sales associate.
- Differentiation:The packaging also helps brands distinguish their products from each other by using logos, colors, or shapes. Your product will stand out in the market if you use good packaging.
What Is the Significance of Packaging Design?
Indeed, product packaging is primarily a practical tool, but it also symbolizes much more than that for the brand and product it represents. Whether a consumer decides to buy a product depends on its packaging. We believe the following are the most important reasons for a good packaging design:
Makes A Good First Impression
The importance of first impressions cannot be overstated, especially when your product must stand out in a sea of similar products. Your product will stand out from the rest of the crowd on store shelves or the page of an eCommerce site if it has an eye-catching packaging design. Take advantage of this opportunity to get consumers to know your brand since it’s your first chance to win them over.
Create A Brand Identity and Promote It
There is a story behind your brand – an identity you’ve been striving for. How better to emphasize brand identity than with packaging design? Consumers notice it first and foremost. If you want your packaging to tell the right story about your brand, be sure to include your company’s logo and the fonts, colors, and trademarks associated with it. Consumers will then recognize your products wherever they are.
Engages In Customer Communication
Regardless of how much fun you have with packaging design, remember that it must also be informative. It must communicate with customers and tell them all they need to know to convince them about the product. Effective packaging needs to address the following questions:
- Why is this product needed?
- How is this product used?
- Does the manufacturer have more information on them?
- What is the expiration date? When?
- Is it going to make my life better?